Wednesday, September 7, 2011

In the classroom

It is strange to be in the classroom as a student again. It is strange in two ways. First, of course, I am now more used to being on the other side of the teacher's desk. Second, and more strangely, it feels pretty natural - maybe not so surprising. I did, after all, spend 19 years as a student and only 8 as a teacher.

Some things are the same as they were for much of my scholastic career. I can't believe other people aren't doing the reading, don't bring their books to class, and never have anything to say when the professor asks a question. I get impatient for the teacher to move on to the next point; I wish the pace would either pick up or else that there would be more opportunities to move the conversation deeper.

I'm taking two classes. One is Introduction to Education (taught by a graduate teaching assistant - he has a lot of experience with elementary and high school teaching, but not much at all with college students, and he often puts himself in a position to have that lack of experience taken advantage of) and the other is Education of the Exceptional Student. Good material, interesting, but we're really just hovering on the surface.

I'm not really the type of student who likes to hang out on the surface. When it seems clear that that is where we are staying, I have a tendency to tune out and read ahead. This has its pros and cons. Luckily, I have 19 years of experience with the pros and cons.

1 comment:

Katie Blanton said...

Katie Blanton 5th block
For this blog post i'll have to say that I don't know what to say except for the fact I sometimes read ahead.And everyone is used to being behind the desk and learning I bet even when the teachers started teaching they were nervous.I guess it's a good thing when you have a teacher assistant that has experience at Elementary and High school. And the line that says "I get impatient for the teacher to move to the next point" I agree with that. It's also a good thing that you have experience with pro's and con's.