Saturday, March 15, 2008

Sunday is my Dad's birthday!

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Here's a special photo-essay post for my Dad, who is such a terrific dad, a fabulous grandpa, and a great guy. My Dad has always been special to me, and as the years go by I appreciate him more and more. I've always loved his sense of humor (except maybe when he would try to tease me out of a really good sulk) and his sense of fun. I've learned a lot from him - from tying leaders and cleaning fish to navigating treacherous corporate waters to keeping an ethical head when everyone else is losing his (or hers).

Whenever I tell myself that I may as well give something a try or when I remind myself to do my best whether anyone will notice it or not, and when I try very hard not to complain about something - I hear his voice in the back of my head. When I have a nearly uncontrollable urge to make a bad joke, well, that's his voice, too.


When I moved out to MN, my Dad drove me and my little white truck (which has previously been his). We traveled together for three days, two nights, and I was glad to have his company. Later it occurred to me how many women I know who would not want to spend that much time in such close quarters with their father, who would even perhaps be afraid to, and that knowledge makes me marvel at my luck.

In recent years, it has been a real pleasure to be able to talk about more books with my dad - how many other women have had the experience of a 45-minute conversation with their dad about Eat, Pray, Love and Elizabeth Gilbert's appearance on Oprah?

I can't say that my Daddy is perfect, because no one is (and there was that time he thought it would be a good idea to save my broccoli and make me eat it for breakfast the next morning - HA!). But I can say that I love him dearly, that he is one of the bright lights of my life, and that I can't wait until he and my Momma move back to MN! (hint, hint, Dad)
We love you, Grandpa Dave!

No comments: